Greeting Before Service
- Greeters should arrive at church 15 minutes before the service begins. Be sure to wear your name tag!
- One or more Greeters should station themselves at the Main Street front doors and one or more at the doors leading from the Sanctuary into the Social Room. If there are extra Greeters, one could also be stationed at the rear side entrance (nearest the parking lot). Children are welcome to help their parents greet.
- Welcome everyone warmly and introduce yourself to people you don’t know. Be especially aware of newcomers. (If you’re not sure who’s new, how about something like, “Your face isn’t familiar to me. Are you a newcomer, or a member I haven’t met?”) Invite visitors to sign the guest book by the front door and to browse in the literature corner. As appropriate, direct newcomers with children to the Nursery on the Lower Level or to our Director of Religious Education, Jan Hustlar or other RE staff. Each order of service contains a “logistics” insert giving location of bathrooms, parking, etc.
- Pass out orders of service to adults, inviting couples to share, so as to conserve paper. Large print orders of service are available at each door, and a large print hymnal is at the center back.
- Stay at your post until about 5 minutes after the service has begun, in order to assist latecomers. Close inside and outside doors, unless it is a hot summer day.
Taking the Morning OfferingIf there are more than two Greeters, decide ahead of time which two will take the offering. The offering plates are on the windowsill at the center back of the Sanctuary.
- Please keep hold of each plate, rather than passing them down the rows.
- Should face people as you collect their gifts. This means you always start with the front pew and work back.
- Begins by walking together down the center aisle to the front.
- Walks from front to back, collecting from people in the nearest half of each center pew.
- Goes to the front of the next aisles over (the side aisles), and
walks back collecting from the people in the other half of the center
- Now, goes to the front of these same aisles again and walks back, collecting from the nearer half of the outside pews.
- Then goes down the outside aisles to collect from the outer half of the side pews.
- Finally, collects from any people sitting in extra chairs on the side or at the back.
- Leaves collection plates on the windowsill at the center back. (Our money counters will pick them up immediately after the service.)
After ServiceChurch Council and Membership Committee welcomers are on the lookout for newcomers, and Greeters should do the same.
- Invite visitors to stay for social hour, and, if you can, accompany them to the Social Room and introduce them to at least one other person.
- Encourage newcomers to use blue mugs for coffee or tea.
Please stay for at least the first 10 minutes of s ocial hour, and being alert for anyone who is standing alone (whether with a blue mug or not!) and engaging them in conversation.
Thank you for helping to make our church a friendly and welcoming place.
Your involvement helps build our sense of community.