It is the mission of UShare to support and promote community efforts to grow, distribute, and enjoy wholesome locally grown food in the North Country.
UShare strives to make a difference by improving food security and nutrition in our local communities. We grow two community gardens–the Priest Field Garden in Canton and the Cecilie Garden in Potsdam. Our harvests are donated to local neighborhood centers, food pantries, and community dinners.
Hunger is a significant issue for many of our neighbors in St. Lawrence County
- 17.5% of the people in our county live in poverty, including almost 25% of children
- 1,800 children in our communities go hungry
- New York State farmers are twice as likely to qualify for food assistance as the average low-income New Yorker
- Two dozen food pantries distribute more than 800,000 meals annually
How Can You Help?
UShare depends on the efforts of volunteers and we always welcome newcomers.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Planting and maintaining our gardens
- Delivering produce to area food pantries
- Special projects both in and out of the garden
- Other community activities
Both UShare Gardens Need Your Help This Summer!
Please consider volunteering to adopt either the Priest Garden in Canton or the Cecilie Garden in Potsdam for a week or two this summer. We encourage new gardeners to double up with others already committed for a week, especially for the bigger Cecilie Garden.
To volunteer for the Priest Garden, go to http://doodle.com/poll/
To volunteer for the Cecilie Garden, go to http://doodle.com/poll/